Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chris Armold And Bentwaters Rendlesham 1997

Chris Armold And Bentwaters Rendlesham 1997

CHRIS ARMOLD AND BENTWATERS

UNITED KINGDOM UFO NETWORK: WE BELIEVE THAT CHRIS ARNOLD (BELOW) WROTE TO RAINE & CROW (UK.UFO.NW STAFF MEMBERS) AFTER READING A BENTWATERS REPORT ON THEIR HOME PAGE. CHRIS ARNOLDS LETTERS HAS NOW BEEN PLACED INTO THE HANDS OF MICHAEL LINDERMANN OF CNI NEWS FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

Edit: For all he is oft referenced to as "Arnold" you can see in his replies below that it is in fact signed, "Armold" (with an 'm'), the last reference** is spelled "Arnold" so has been left but is in error. The following information was released in 1997 by the United Kingdom UFO Network.

From: United Kingdom UFO Network

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:39:05 +0000

Fwd Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 15:18:23 -0400

Subject: {80} part 1 - United Kingdom UFO Network

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 97

Howdy, Just wanted to say that as a participant in the alleged RAF Woodbridge UFO incident in 1980, I just wanted to advise you that you've been well and truly snookered by Halt and his buddies. They have no clue.

Chris Armold


Hi Chris,

Are you telling me that you were actually a participant in the alleged RAF Woodbridge UFO incident in 1980? What did you participate in? I have had quite a few people email me and claim this, but as yet none have come up with any evidence that would substantiate their claims. Would you please tell me why I have been well and truly snookered by Halt and his buddies, I wonder if you will claim Warren was not there at that time? I would be very interested indeed to hear your evidence and look forward to some real info from you.

All the very best..Crow & Raine

To:


Subject: RAF Woodbridge

From: Chris Armold

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97

Howdy, It's very strange that someone would ask me for evidence of my participation in this non-event when no one seems compeled to require Burroughs, Halt and whoever else to substantiate their fantastic storys.

In any case here is some information regarding that wonderful goat rope outside the RAF Woodbridge East Gate that December morning. I was a member of the 81st Security Police Squadron on "B" Flight Law Enforcement. If I remember correctly (and you must forgive me for some memory lapse as you must realize that at the time this was not a significant event, consequently it really hasn't been burned into my mind, obviously had I seen flying saucers, and little green men I doubt I would have any problems retaining the information) those of us working were having some fun as we actually were playing music over one of the Police Frequencies. It was very quiet and since it was the holiday season, not much was happening. Things were pretty laid back. In any case, we were playing Music on the Security Frequency and the Law Enforcement freq was being used in case someone had an emergency or actual work related transmission to make. After midnight, John Burroughs radioed the LE desk and reported he had seen strange lights in the outside the East Gate on RAF Woodbridge. I was actually on RAF Lakenheath hanging out at the Law Enforcement Desk at the time. Burroughs, who liked to draw attention to himself, often over-reacted to situations and was considered very unreliable, wanted to know if there were any reports of downed aircraft.

We called the Control Tower and I even called the local Constabulary (I can't remember the town the constabulary was in, but I do know it was outside of Ipswich and I think it used to be an air base during WWII, I believe the control tower was restored in the 80's)

In any case, after getting a negative reply from the British Cops, My flight chief asked me if I wanted to head out to Woodbridge to meet up with Burroughs and see what was up. I grabbed the back gate keys, and took the back way to RAF W/B. I met Burroughs at the East Gate of WB. We left our guns with the guy riding with Burroughs and drove to the end of the long access road. We left our vehicle and walked out there.

There was absolutely nothing in the woods. We could see lights in the distance and it appeared unusual as it was a sweeping light, (we did not know about the lighthouse on the coast at the time). We also saw some strange colored lights in the distance but were unable to determine what they were.

Eventually we found three depressions in the ground, about the diameter of a coffee can in a triangular pattern. However, there was no damage to trees or scorch marks, or any damage to any plant life in the area. We noted the location of the impressions and departed the area.

Burroughs and his partner went back to patroling RAF WB and I returned to RAF BW. I reported what I saw to my flight chief. In the morning several of us were asked if we would return to the area to point out the depressions to some folks who I believe were from environmental health. They did have some type of instrument for detecting radiation and I believe they did detect some measure of radiation, however I don't think it was a significant amount. During the trip to the woods, Lt Col Halt, the deputy base commander (who's radio call sign was "Stopper") showed up. He was intregued by the report.

Now you must understand that we had a very interesting relationship with Col Halt. You see he really enjoyed hanging out with the Law Enforcement troops. He found our job interesting and I think he had fun. He would routinely stop by the office on swing and midnight shifts on Friday and Saturday nights and ride with patrols. I would say he rode with me 10 or 12 times during my time at RAF BW. I considered him a very friendly, relaxed individual and very down to earth for an officer.

Halt essentially said he planned on coming out to the site in the evening and one way or another several of us said we'd keep him company. The guys I remember were John Burroughs, Adrian Bustamante, and me. I think another officer joined Halt, I believe it was Lt Bruce England, but I'm not absolutely certain and maybe two other guys (Possibly one named Pennington, just can't remember for sure) There was however, no army of USAF guys out in the woods.. No fleet of vehicles, no towed light rigs, just a half-dozen or so of us stomping around goofing off.

I brought a camera with me and I think Halt had a tape recorder. We were out there for hours and someone noticed some lights in the distance. While they often seemed to be very close in reality as we tried to approach them we discovered they were very far away. Now don't confuse what I just wrote. Little balls of light were not flying around us or getting closer and flying away. We initially thought the lights were closer than they actually were.

In the end I would say we were in the woods for 4 or 5 hours. The next morning we went home and "B" flight went on break (our three days off). Three days later we returned to work and made fun of Burroughs for screwing up our radio fun with his bogus UFO sighting.

There were no secret debriefings, no threats, no sudden assignments.

Nothing.

It was no big deal.

One of the things that is so amusing about this issue is that I didn't leave RAF Lakenheath for another 6 or 7 months. You know, after a few days, this entire issue was forgotten. It just was not an issue. When I departed England, I was sent to Grissom AFB Indiana. John Burroughs stated on some TV show in the states that after the incident he suddenly and unexpectedly received transfer orders to Korea, apparently to keep him quiet. Bullshit. John Burroughs departed right on time (we had two year assignments to England) and guess where he went: Yep, Grissom AFB Indiana. I had to spend another tour of duty with that idiot.

Ok, so now John and I are in Indiana together. We don't know anyone but each other, so we hung out for a few months until we got to know other people. Guess what. He never spoke of seeing a flying saucer, or encountering aliens. He never mentioned the incident again. Obviously something one wouldn't likely forget had he actually seen or encountered such phenomenons. Nope, John and I really never spoke of the UFO thing at WB because we didn't consider it to be anything except some unusual lights.

John and I spent two years together in Indiana. He later became a K-9 handler and eventually left the active AF for the guard or reserves and I think he ended up in Nevada. As in England, his tour in Indiana impressed no one. Burroughs was unreliable and very self-serving. He always tried to do what was best for "John."

The next time I heard of the UFO thing was when I returned to England in 1984. I had an assignment to RAF Lakenheath and two days after I arrived I saw a story on the news (on TV) about this book called "Sky Crash" about the alleged UFO Incident at RAF WB. I was absolutely amazed that anyone would have cared about this non-incident. I found a copy of the book and was absolutely blown away by the rubbish and inaccuracies which filled the pages.

Let me say categorically that there were no space ships, no flying saucers, no little green men, no encounters with aliens, nothing of the sort.

Sadly many UFO enthusiasts seem to have focused more on what they would sorely love to hear rather than what actually happened. Unfortunitaly John Burroughs and Col Halt seemed to have recognized that and took these "believers" for a ride. In any case, I seriously doubt that what I tell you will have any effect on the history of the incident.

Burroughs, Halt, Warren who ever he is, ( I have to admit I don't remember the name Larry Warren at all? Is he using a fabricated name to conceal his identity? If not I have to admit I honestly have no recollection of the guy. However, if we had shared a real UFO encounter I'm sure I would be able to recollect each second of the incident in excrutiating detail.) have only their collective hazy memories and conflicting accounts to rest on. Ask them why they never mentioned me? Ask them why they never talked about it after they left RAF BW? Ask them how much money they have made from articles, TV, and talk shows (or whatever schemes they were able to devise to take advantage of this incident.)

I could go on and on, but you know what, no one cares about reality.

In any case, that's my small part in this UFO story. Take care.

**Chris Arnold


[UK 8]

Source: United Kingdom UFO Network (via UFOUpdates)